Natural Superheroes – Results Focused Time Management – 18 October 2018
“This is a new way to approach an age old problem!” – Senior Manager, Kia Motors
Through this interactive one-day workshop, we help people to tackle the real time management issues of:
- keeping on top of and ahead of your ‘to do’ list
- staying focused and motivated throughout the day
- establishing what the real priorities are at any moment in time
- managing large volumes of emails, phone calls and other distractions
- evidencing individual contribution to a team effort
- constant distractions
- not having enough time during the day to do everything
- going home feeling so tired and stressed that you don’t enjoy life outside of work
- prioritising workloads
- managing expectations of other people effectively
- delegating tasks and knowing that they will get done
- team communication
This is a collaboration with Anne Thomas of Natural Superheroes.
Full details below or download course outline.
‘To do’ lists don’t work… they focus on activity, not results…
If you are one of the many people who use ‘to do’ lists, do you regularly find that the list is longer by the end of the day or week than it ever was at the beginning? Do you ever get to the end of a day or week and think, “I know I have been busy but I cannot say what I have actually achieved!” How effective are you at evidencing in your performance management review meeting what you have achieved and where you have spent your time?
Most time management training courses suggest using ‘to do lists’ which are action driven instead of results focused. This means that people in business teams too often focus on activity that makes them look busy, and what they want to do or feel most comfortable in doing, instead of what will contribute towards the overall business goals or objectives.
This system works in parallel with individual performance management systems to keep a SIMPLE daily record of RESULTS achieved that contribute fully towards the business objectives AND keep people:
- focused on the real priorities of the day
- inspired to work
- motivated in a sustainable way on a daily basis
- We also show people how to handle time management issues such as procrastination, distractions and managing difficult people effectively by providing a proven time management formula that can be applied in 15-30 minutes each day.
How and why does this system work?
Distraction is a big part of our daily life and sometimes we are completely unaware of how many things there are that take our attention away from what is really important. Some of these things are down to habit and conditioning and others are down to outside influences over which we have no control. But many are due to our inability to keep at the forefront of our mind what it is that is truly important to accomplish and finish .. in the short, medium and long term.
This system ensures that individuals take a proactive approach to consciously recognising what is truly important for them AND provides a mechanism whereby these outcomes can be clearly articulated, kept visible throughout the whole day in a way which makes the consequences of not following through obvious.
The planning fallacy is the tendency to underestimate the time, costs, and risks of future actions and at the same time overestimate the benefits of the same actions. Whilst we do not guarantee to solve this problem entirely we have proven beyond doubt that the successful implementation of this Results Focused Time Management system reduces the risk of this happening to the degree it otherwise would.
An ongoing use of this system raises self awareness as to exactly:
- what is required to deliver a result
- what is holding the individual back from accomplishing what they know themselves to be capable of
And, it provides simple strategies for realistic planning and overcoming internal resistance to moving forward in ways that are truly sustainable for yourself and the people around you.
By the end of this one-day workshop you will:
- Know how to transform your ‘to do’ list into a realistic results focused daily plan for yourself in 15-30 minutes using a simple 5 step approach to time management
- Learn personal strategies that help us to understand exactly what is behind issues of procrastination, distraction and not being able to say no. By learning about your natural motivational tendencies we can understand why these common issues arise and how to deal with them with greater sense of ease and confidence
- Develop your personal awareness through the enneagram, and know the difference in the levels of emotional intelligence within your own motivational style to ensure that the quality of your results focused time management plan will solve the vast majority your time management issues
- Be able to apply simple principles that help you tackle issues of knowing what you really want to achieve and enable you to gain clarity on what your specific holistic goals are. This means that actions are wholly focused on contributing to your performance management plan and give you an ongoing sense of natural fulfilment and drive at work
- Have access to all of the tools necessary to assess the effectiveness of your time management, understand your time management issues and solutions in detail and apply the 5 step process immediately after the programme
- Learn techniques that help truly manage emails, phone calls and deadlines effectively whilst exceeding the expectations of your internal and external workplace colleagues and clients
- Have ideas as to how you can plan delegated tasks and communicate them well enough for people not only to understand but be naturally motivated to complete. We will share with you specific approaches to delegation for different types of people
- Apply the 5 step system to keep a log of all your achievements throughout the year to use at performance management review meetings. This system can be immediately applied using downloadable templates from our website which can then be saved on a daily basis and used in evidencing achievements and contributions made to the business.
We provide you with very detailed and practical insights and strategies and a simple 5-step results-focused time management approach. This helps you to manage your day with greater control, significantly more focus, increased confidence, fulfilment and peace of mind.
- Anyone wanting to improve the personal effectiveness of themselves and of others
- Anyone wanting more control over their time
- Anyone feeling overwhelmed with too much to do
- Anyone wanting to improve their own performance whilst managing their stress levels effectively
A practical interactive session, focused on real issues. The approach is pragmatic, not theoretical.
Anne Thomas is an outstanding trainer with over 17 years’ experience working in major ‘blue chip’ organisations. After leaving her Regional Sales Management role within Barclays Bank in 2000, Anne set up her own consultancy working with organisations including GlaxoSmithKline, Halifax Bank of Scotland, Sun Microsystems, WH Smith and many more.
She published her first book in 2004 and in 2005 her RC60™ (‘Results Coaching in 60 Seconds’) training courses were accredited by the Institute of Leadership and Management.
Anne has delivered her unique programmes to a wide variety of organisations, including HBOS, W H Smith, Barclays, Leisure Connection, Avnet, GSK, Sun Microsystems, Leicester City Council, Bluewater Shopping Centre, Avon Cosmetics, Standard Life, MTV, Orange, PricewaterhouseCoopers, BBC, Bank of England, BAE Systems, AT&T, HSBC, Addenbrookes NHS Trust, Accenture, Babcock, Centrica, Dell, DHL, Dixons, EDS, ICAEW, Severn Trent, Shelter, Disney Stores Europe, Vodafone, etc, etc, etc.
In addition, Anne has run numerous open programmes in recent years, training managers from all types of organisation and background and generating stunning feedback, as the comments below show:
‘Course was brilliant. The course was pertinent and pitched at exactly the right level. I could put theory into practice immediately. I learned, how to use lists effectively, and block my diary to control my days.’
‘The whole course has been great I enjoyed the openness and frankness. I have something tangible to take away. Excellent!’
‘Thank you for a course that will help me to deliver the best possible service for my customer without the stress!’
‘Excellent involvement and interaction. Expected the usual Time Management training as before but this course was refreshingly different.’
Results-focused time management – agenda
1 Why to do lists don’t work
- Workshop introduction and personalised objectives for the day
- Top 5 reasons why ‘to do’ lists don’t work and will never work in helping us to manage our time effectively
- Why creating a ‘to do’ list is only the first step to great time management
- Analysing your existing time management skills – how to measure the success of your time management development – what percentage of the day are you truly effective in your role
2 Time management issues or emotional intelligence issues?
We explore key issues and ask whether it is the Time Management skill set itself that is of most importance, or is it our emotional relationship to time that is the main cause of our time management problems?
- Top 5 time management issues and the specific causes of these issues
- Emotional Intelligence and the importance of applying simple principles to improve our time management skills
- Range of emotions we experience when managing our time and how to ensure we maximise our resourcefulness at the moment we decide what we would like the future to hold in store for ourselves and others
- Knowing the clear differences between what we can control and what we can influence and how this impacts our effectiveness in managing our time
- Understanding the true nature of time and how it impacts our perceived levels of stress and our ability to deliver results
- Nine different approaches to Time Management, the issues each of them face and the natural solutions for each of them
- Understand the 3 levels of behaviour within your personal enneagram profile and how to move within these levels to improve time management effectiveness
- How to interpret and make use of the results of your online personal profile – delegates complete our profile online before the event and have the opportunity of analysing their results
- Understanding the winning time management strategies that best suit your personality and increase your natural sense of motivation
- Knowing the make-up of your team, understanding why their behaviour impacts on your time management efforts and what to do about it
3 Work life balance
- Work life balance. Who’s responsibility is it that we maintain a good work / life balance?
- The 7 simple secrets of creating great work life balance
- An overview of the complete life planning process with access to life planning tools and resources
- Prioritising personal goals and strategies for making these important choices and getting it right
- Holistic goal setting – ensuring that the focus we choose is sustainable over time
- Goal setting phobias – why many people are fearful of setting goals and how they can overcome their fears to create the life they really want
- Categories for personal improvement – tools and techniques for reviewing your overall objectives in work and at home
4 Results focused time management – the complete solution
During this section of the workshop delegates learn the 5 step results focused time management approach and practice planning their work day by using these steps to create a daily plan.
- 5 simple steps in less than 15 minutes each day – an overview of the process followed by a walk through exercise detailing the fundamentals and key principles of steps in detail
- What to include and what not to include in your initial ‘to do’ list
- Being proactive with your goals and knowing exactly what the priorities are on a weekly basis – 30 minutes to one hour each
- Maximising your time through grouping of activities that move you towards very specific results
The secrets of managing emails and phone calls effectively
- Principles for the effective delegation and management of tasks through others
- Estimating time – the secrets of managing our expectations about time and managing the expectations of others
- The fundamentals of results focused and purpose driven planning
- Strategies for managing resistance to completing tasks – overcoming procrastination and truly enjoying the process
- Strategies for professionally managing distractions
- Saying ‘no’ to people effectively to maintain a good relationship, maintain control over our workload and still be open to other people’s priorities
- Reviewing your progress throughout the day – the do’s and don’ts of self coaching and coaching of others on their time management skills
- Evidencing achievements that relate to your performance management plan
- Keeping yourself focused and naturally motivated over time
5 Time management hints and tips
- Learn about simple and effective strategies to establish priorities, manage emails, manage phone calls and voicemail, handle interruptions, manage time during meetings
- Extensive Time Management self evaluation questionnaire – review your current skill levels and identify exactly what you can do to improve your effectiveness, efficiency and happiness!
6 Course summary
- Review the full content of the day reminding delegates of the key principles of Results-focused time management
- Review of the course objectives
- Question and answer session
- Post course support and access to resources – delegates are given access to downloadable templates and email support
- Creating your own quick reference guide – delegates leave the event with a personalised summary of the key learning points
- We provide delegates with a very simple 5 phase plan that provides a proven formula for successfully implementing what has been learned within one week of attending the course.
Location and timings
- 18 October 2018
- The British Racing School, Snailwell Road, Suffolk, CB8 7NU
- 8.45 – 4.30
Please click HERE for more information and to book now using the EventBrite online registration system.