‘Soft skills’ for the procurement and contracting team
Full details below or download course outline. (And scroll down for details of the open course).
The so-called ‘soft’ skills are, in reality, the hard ones.
This one-day programme is designed specifically to help procurement and contract management professionals develop the abilities, knowledge and competencies required to make effective use of ‘soft’ skills to get the best out of procurement teams, stakeholders, and suppliers.
By the end of the programme participants will be able to:
- Give a definition of ‘soft’ skills and the value they add over and above the required ‘harder’ skills
- Analyse their own skill set and develop relevant action plans to improve
- Identify and practise key communication skills in the context of the procurement environment
- Map, engage with, and influence key internal and external stakeholders
- Make use of relevant tools for giving and receiving feedback to develop team members and suppliers
- Identify potential sources of conflict and make use of proven techniques to resolve issues in a way that achieves added value
- Recognise how understanding the cultural dimension adds value to the contracting organisation
This unique workshop is designed for members or managers of procurement, contracting and commercial teams with responsibilities for managing contracts or projects.
The expert trainer for this practical one-day programme adopts a proactive, participative, and participant-centred approach with emphasis on the practical application of the tools, techniques and templates discussed. The learning needs to be embedded into the fabric of the organisation and the trainer uses context-based case studies and other tasks to achieve this.
The content of this course has been cross-mapped with established competency frameworks and other international standards.
Certificates of attendance provided on request.
Most of the training we deliver is either tailored or completely bespoke. This workshop can therefore be delivered entirely as advertised, or it can be tailored to your particular requirements, or we can simply take it as a starting point for a conversation with you before we draft a completely bespoke programme for you – the choice is yours.
Kenny is an experienced learning and development professional with a specialism in procurement training for large blue chip organisations. He is particularly experienced in delivering training on negotiation skills, procurement and supply chain management, contract law, project management and compliance for a range of clients across the UK and internationally.
‘Soft skills’ for the procurement and contracting team – course outline
- Introductions, aims and objectives and plan for the day
2 Why bother?
- What are ‘soft’ skills and why do they matter so much in contracting and procurement?
- Identifying the barriers to effective communication and how to overcome them to deliver effective outcomes across the supply chain
- Why stakeholder mapping and engagement are so vital
- How to do it
- Ensuring requirements are aligned to organisational needs
- Influencing power
- How to develop it
- How to harness it in the procurement process
- Identifying the positive and negative aspects of conflicts
- Making it work for the contracting professionals
- Using different conflict resolution models
- How culture shapes people, organisations and supply chains
- Review of key learning points
- Personal action planning
Open programme fact file
2 May 2017
Programme location and timings
- Woburn House, Tavistock Square, London WC1H 9HQ – a short walk from Euston station
- 9.30 – 4.30
- Buffet lunch and refreshments included
- Workbooks/reference materials included
- Certificates of attendance provided for CPD purposes
Prices and bookings
- Standard price: £279 + VAT per person
- ‘Early bird’ price for bookings received by 28 February 2017: £229 + VAT per person
- ‘Multi-buy’ rates available: see booking forms for details
- To book just on this programme, please complete, save and email back the booking form
- To book places on any of our other procurement programmes as well, please complete, save and email back the ‘multi-buy’ booking form