Strategic procurement management
Full details below or download course outline. (And scroll down for details of the open course).
An intensive two-day programme to:
- Enable participants to understand what best practice in strategic procurement management looks like,
- Equip them with the knowledge to apply it within their own organisation,
- Encourage them to think strategically, and
- Inspire them to seek value for money in everything they buy.
By the end of the programme participants will be able to:
- Understand the principles of strategic procurement management
- Understand the increasingly strategic role of procurement and its importance to the life of an organisation
- Know where their organisation is now, and where it wants to be
- Recognise the importance of the key processes underpinning strategic procurement management – category management, strategic sourcing, contract management and P2P (Purchase to Pay)
- Understand the need for business alignment, and have the confidence to work cross-functionally with budget-holders, finance managers, legal staff, etc
- Know how to choose suppliers in a fair and transparent way
- Understand the contract management lifecycle and the importance of a good contract
- Know how to manage contracts effectively using KPIs (Key Performance Indicators)
- Recognise that suppliers can be some of the best assets of an organisation and know how to manage the supply base effectively
- Understand the concept of value for money and the need to ensure value for money in everything bought
- Measure procurement performance and apply techniques to ensure continuous improvement
This highly practical and interactive course has been specifically designed for procurement managers and staff wishing to take procurement performance to the next level. It will also be suitable for budget holders, finance managers and legal staff who need to know about best practice in procurement and how to apply it within their own organisation.
The expert trainer for this practical two-day programme adopts a proactive, participative, and participant-centred approach with emphasis on the practical application of the tools, techniques and templates discussed. The learning needs to be embedded into the fabric of the organisation and the trainer uses context-based case studies and other tasks to achieve this.
The content of this course has been cross-mapped with the IACCM competency framework and other international standards.
Most of the training we deliver is either tailored or completely bespoke. This workshop can therefore be delivered entirely as advertised, or it can be tailored to your particular requirements, or we can simply take it as a starting point for a conversation with you before we draft a completely bespoke programme for you – the choice is yours.
Steve is a hugely experienced trainer and consultant specialising in procurement and commercial negotiation. He has worked in all sectors, across the UK and internationally, advising and training on all aspects of procurement. Steve has a particularly successful track record in major procurement transformation projects.
Strategic procurement management – course outline
- Introductions, aims and objectives and plan for the two days
2 Introduction to strategic procurement management
- The changing role of procurement in the 21st century
- Where are we now?
- Where do we want to be?
- What does best practice in strategic procurement management look like?
3 Category management
- What is category management?
- How should it be applied in practice?
- Working with stakeholders
- The importance of knowing your spend…
- … knowing your requirements
- … and knowing your markets
4 Strategic sourcing
- The art of choosing the right suppliers
- Researching markets and identifying suppliers
- Going out to tender with an RFQ, RFP or ITT
- Evaluating bids and making choices
- E-procurement and electronic auctions
5 Contract and supplier management
- The contract management lifecycle
- What makes a good contract?
- How to use KPIs (Key Performance Indicators)
- Managing the right suppliers in the right way
- Reducing risk and promoting innovation
6 Creating value and making savings
- What is value?
- How do you measure it?
- Looking for real value in everything you buy
- Measuring procurement performance – life beyond savings
- Review of key learning points
- Personal action planning
Open programme fact file
11-12 April 2017
Programme location and timings
- Woburn House, Tavistock Square, London WC1H 9HQ – a short walk from Euston station
- 9.30 – 4.30
- Buffet lunch and refreshments included
- Workbooks/reference materials included
- Certificates of attendance provided for CPD purposes
Prices and bookings
- Standard price: £720 + VAT per person
- ‘Early bird’ price for bookings received by 28 February 2017: £595 + VAT per person
- ‘Multi-buy’ rates available: see booking forms for details
- To book just on this programme, please complete, save and email back the booking form
- To book places on any of our other procurement programmes as well, please complete, save and email back the ‘multi-buy’ booking form