Melanie is an experienced and creative personal development trainer and group facilitator whose methods and style of delivery empower individuals and groups to realise their potential. Melanie has been involved in developing people for more than 30 years. Her specialist areas of training are customer service and the personal development skills which involve managing ourselves, managing others or being managed. She works extensively across the three sectors, public, private and not-for-profit, nationally and internationally.
Consultancy and training clients include:
Public sector: Department of Work and Pensions, Health & Safety Executive, MANCAT, Tameside Borough Council, Peak District National Park, Irish Health and Safety Authority, City College Manchester, Unison, Manchester City Council, Liverpool University, Salford City Council, Cheshire and Wirral NHS, Ministry of Defence, Trafford College, Carlisle City Council, Greater Manchester Directors of Public Health, Edge Hill University, Manchester Libraries, Oldham Royal Hospital, Redditch and Bromsgrove Councils, Trafford Borough Council, European Union – OHIM (international trademark organisation), Greater Manchester Commissioning Support Unit, etc.
Private sector: British Airways, Royal Mail, Granada Media, British Aerospace, Cresta Holidays, FISC Healthcare, Norwest Holst, National Grid, ASDA Stores, Allied Mills, Miller Homes, Keane Inc, BSL Engineering, Charles Evans Shopfitters, Crispin & Borst, Glen Dimplex, VTL Automotive, Bargain Booze, Wurth Electronics, Wyevale Plant Nurseries, Sintons Solicitors, Buckhurst Plant Hire, Herma, Tangerine Holdings, Whitecroft Lighting, Glasdon UK, Avonside Roofing, Partington’s Holiday Parks, Meyer, Corma Carpets, Millers Oils, etc.
Not-for-profit sector: The Prince’s Trust, National Housing Federation, Groundwork Trust, British Diabetic Association, Irwell Valley HA, Women’s Housing Action Group, Brittle Bones Society, The Vegetarian Society, The Regional Forum for Yorkshire and The Humber, Age Concern, NACRO, Shelter, Three Rivers HA, Manchester Care and Repair. Councils for Voluntary Service in Greater Manchester (GMCVO), Bolton, Wirral, Oldham, Wigan and Leigh, Rochdale, Tameside, Warrington, Salford, Blackburn, Preston, Manchester, High Peak, etc.
These clients represent experience in the following sectors: manufacturing, retail, distribution, construction, media, education, legal, travel, charity, housing, health, local authorities, engineering, care, health & safety.
Melanie’s qualifications include:
- Diploma in Learning and Development (L5)
- Certificate in Personal Coaching
- TAP Certificates (L3) in Training Delivery, Facilitation and Design Skills
- Practitioner Certificate in NLP
- BTEC Certificate level 3 in Coaching Skills and Practice
- Certificate in Life Coaching level 2
- Certified Outcomes Approach Trainer
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Education and Training (Post-16)
- Advanced Professional Diploma – Consulting in the Community
- Post-Graduate Diploma – Youth and Community Work
Melanie has also undertaken a number of consultancy assignments in the customer service field, including:
- ‘An Excellent Customer Service’ for 550 Manchester City Council Library and Information Service Staff. Melanie developed and delivered a very successful programme for managers on Leading an Excellent Customer Service with emphasis on leaders being role models of excellence, followed by a programme for front line staff on Delivering an Excellent Customer Service with a focus on personal behaviour and attitudinal change. Finally, she trained the managers in coaching skills in order to raise performance levels in customer service where necessary.
- Manchester City Council is currently introducing an eight module Customer Service Training Programme across the whole Council. Melanie is responsible for two of the modules, based on Handling Challenging Customers, which incorporates assertive behaviour, attitudinal control and dealing with conflict and change constructively.
Melanie is based in Manchester and delivers customer service training in Northumberland, Cleveland, Tyne and Wear, Co Durham, Humberside, Cumbria, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Merseyside and Greater Manchester.
This is a sample of what clients have said about her training:
‘Really responsive trainer, engaging from the word go. Let us talk more than most, helped us get there as a team – this was the best method. Really productive, very good engaging trainer, who was able to put herself into our role, our experiences and apply the methods that we learned to specific situations. I can’t wait for the next awkward customer, bring it on! Oh and thank you Melanie.’ Manchester City Council
‘Most useful? All of it! One of the most useful, stimulating and informative sessions I have been to. Lots of ideas and practical advice that I can apply. I will definitely change my approach re: agendas, planning etc, which will help me to be more effective and more confident.’ University of Liverpool
‘Best and most useful course I have ever attended – many thanks.’ Crispin and Borst
‘Really, really helpful, to set standards of what is expected within customer service. Helped me to identify my weaknesses and how I can improve on these. Thank you!’ Varcity Living Limited
‘Excellent course. Very knowledgeable trainer. The practical side was useful, the theory interesting and a clearer understanding of techniques. Melanie is so good at what she does and is so natural, which helped me learn. Very approachable, friendly and professional.’ Wigan and Leigh CVS
‘A great course. 10/10.’ Manchester City Council
‘Excellent presentation, clear and understandable. Perfect, thank you very much.’ Wigan and Leigh CVS
‘The course was really informative and Melanie was inspiring in terms of her customer service knowledge. Great ideas to take on board with the team as a manager.’ Meyer
‘Exceeded my expectations, very good course could easily have been over two days. Excellent content, pace and facilitator.’ Fairbridge
‘Big eye opener, extremely helpful. Left me with lots to take back to my role at work and to feedback to other departments who don’t focus enough on customer service.’ Ornua Ingredients UK
‘Liked the fact that there were lots of methods used to engage us – activities, speaking, group-work, etc – kept the day interesting and fresh and got to mix with all members of the group. Really enjoyed the day – lots of methods used – kept me engaged and interested. Lots of practical examples and skills given to use in workplace and at home. Melanie ensured that all members of the group participated and were able to have their say. Will take a lot away from the course. Thank you.’ Manchester City Council