Business planning and strategic decision-making – overview
A one-day workshop for directors (and those aspiring to Board positions) who are responsible for, or contribute in a significant way to, the business planning process and who must take the strategic decisions which form the basis of the plan. The purpose of the workshop is to ensure that all the participants are able to prepare effective and credible business plans by considering:
- the business planning process
- the full range of tools and techniques available for preparation of the business plan
- the decision-making processes associated with business planning
The workshop is practical and pragmatic, with worked examples and an integrative case study. It is equally appropriate to private and quoted companies.
Full details below or download course outline.
At the end of this workshop each participant will have:
- A clear understanding of what a business plan is, how it is structured and how it must address the needs of differing audiences
- Knowledge of the analytical and forecasting tools which can be used to prepare and process the data on which the plan is based
- Knowledge of the analytical tools available for handling risk and uncertainty so that scenarios and contingency plans can be developed
- A critical appreciation of the basis of decision-making at board level
This workshop has been designed primarily for recently-appointed directors (and those aspiring to a board position), although there are clear benefits to having the entire board take part.
A practical and pragmatic one-day workshop, featuring examples and case study work to ensure an appropriate balance between the practical and the theoretical.
This workshop can be adapted to reflect your current internal business planning processes, whether to ensure compliance with them or to offer an opportunity to review and improve them.
We are blessed with a team of outstanding trainers in this area, who all combine excellent training skills with extensive practical experience of being directors themselves and offering corporate governance consultancy support of one sort or another. They are all very used to delivering training internationally as well as in the UK.
The choice of trainer is entirely yours. You simply need to bear in mind their travel and (if absolutely necessary) accommodation costs, so pick the closest trainer to you or scroll through the list to find a trainer with the specific sector background you’re looking for. If you want some advice on who to choose, just give us a call on 01582 714282.
Please click here to see our list of trainers available to facilitate this course.
Business planning and strategic decision-making – course outline
1 Introduction to business planning
- Purpose of business planning
- The hierarchy of strategies
- Overview of functional strategies
- The business planning model and the structure of the business plan
- Relating the business plan to the needs of its audience
2 Tools, techniques and target-setting
- Forecasting volumes, target-setting and developing the budget
- Break-even analysis and contingency planning
- Pricing for profit
3 Uncertainty and risk
- Cause and effect analysis, multiple cause analysis
- Data and logic models for handling uncertainty
- Risk management, what if analysis, developing scenarios and simulation models
4 Decision-making and problem-solving
- Rational and non-rational decision-making
- Structured problem-solving
- Novelty, complexity and ambiguity
- Phases in problem-solving
5 Integrative case study
- Case study review
- Course review