The effective board – overview
This workshop is designed for current and aspiring directors who are responsible for the direction of the organisation, to ensure that they are able to make an effective contribution to the work of the board by considering:
- How boards are structured, what they do and how they work
- Roles and relationships in the boardroom
- Board processes and effectiveness
The programme is appropriate to both public and private companies (but not for family companies or social enterprises, for which separate programmes can be found elsewhere in this section of the website).
Full details below or download course outline.
At the end of this workshop each participant will have a much greater understanding of:
- How boards are structured and how they change
- The roles and relationships at board level and their part in them
- The work of the board and what and how to contribute to it
This workshop has been designed primarily for recently-appointed directors (and those aspiring to a board position), although there are clear benefits to having the entire board take part.
A practical and pragmatic one-day workshop, featuring examples and case study work to ensure an appropriate balance between the practical and the theoretical.
This workshop can be adapted to reflect your current processes, whether to ensure compliance with them or to offer an opportunity to review and improve them.
We are blessed with a team of outstanding trainers in this area, who all combine excellent training skills with extensive practical experience of being directors themselves and offering corporate governance consultancy support of one sort or another. They are all very used to delivering training internationally as well as in the UK.
The choice of trainer is entirely yours. You simply need to bear in mind their travel and (if absolutely necessary) accommodation costs, so pick the closest trainer to you or scroll through the list to find a trainer with the specific sector background you’re looking for. If you want some advice on who to choose, just give us a call on 01582 714282.
Please click here to see our list of trainers available to facilitate this course.
The effective board – course outline
1 The evolving board
- Board composition and structure
- The evolution of the board
- Foreign boards
- Alternative boards
- Future boards
2 Board roles and relationships
- Chairman and managing director, finance director
- Executive and non-executive directors
- Search, appointment and removal of directors
3 The work of the board
- Strategic thinking and setting policy
- Accountability and management oversight
- Decision making and dilemmas at the board
4 Creating an effective board
- Process, procedure and rhythm at the board
- Managing politics and building the team
- Board appraisal and review
5 Integrative case study
- Case study review
- Course review