The international company director – overview
Directors and aspiring directors whose companies are foreign-owned, have foreign subsidiaries or joint ventures, or who are involved in international business in a significant way all face more challenges than the average ‘domestic’ UK company director.
Full details below or download course outline.
At the end of this workshop each participant will have:
- An understanding of the basic differences between the legal systems in Europe, the USA and Asia
- An understanding of the effect that different jurisdictions have on international business and the work of the board
- An understanding of the effect of cross-cultural differences on business relationships
This workshop has been designed primarily for recently-appointed directors (and those aspiring to a board position), although there are clear benefits to having the entire board take part.
A one-day course, featuring examples and case study work to ensure an appropriate balance between the practical and the theoretical.
This workshops addresses legal and cultural differences between the UK and the EU, the USA and Japan, but the content can be tailored to focus on different cultures, regions and countries as required (although this might entail a different choice of speaker).
We are blessed with a team of outstanding trainers in this area, who all combine excellent training skills with extensive practical experience of being directors themselves and offering corporate governance consultancy support of one sort or another. They are all very used to delivering training internationally as well as in the UK.
The choice of trainer is entirely yours. You simply need to bear in mind their travel and (if absolutely necessary) accommodation costs, so pick the closest trainer to you or scroll through the list to find a trainer with the specific sector background you’re looking for. If you want some advice on who to choose, just give us a call on 01582 714282.
Please click here to see our list of trainers available to facilitate this course.
The international company director – course outline
1 The comparative basis of company law
- Comparing the basis of company law in the major jurisdictions
- – UK
- – USA
- – EU
- – Japan
- Company law in emerging economies
- Procedures, practice, common problems and misunderstandings
2 Corporate governance in different jurisdictions
- International comparative corporate governance
- Developments in the EU and the US (including Sarbanes Oxley overview)
- Role of the director, board structure and operation in different jurisdictions
- Case study
3 Cultural orientation
- Understanding cultural variation, socialisation, use of time and information)
- How different cultures see each other)
- Case study (continued)
4 Cross-cultural leadership
- Culture and communication
- Leading across a cultural boundary
- Case study (continued)
- Case study review
- Course review