Manual handling (CIEH level 1 certificate) – overview
‘Principles of Manual Handling’ is a stand-alone Level 1 CIEH qualification, which complements
the ‘Health and safety in the workplace’ CIEH Foundation Certificate. It is aimed at those who carry
out manual handling activities at work and introduces students to the hazards of manual handling, the
risks involved and controls available and what to expect from a manual handling assessment.
Successful completion will prepare participants to look carefully at their own work activities and
contribute to the development of safer methods and tasks, in co-operation with their managers
and supervisors. The qualification is not intended to train participants to carry out manual handling
assessments nor to provide detailed training on handling techniques, although the course can easliy
be expanded to a full day in order to cover these topics.
Full details below or download course outline.
On completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain what is meant by the term ‘manual handling’ and give examples
- Explain how manual handling can cause injury and give examples
- State the principles for controlling manual handling risks and apply these in a practical context
- Demonstrate a general understanding of the value and purposes of conducting a manual handling
assessment and what employees can expect of such assessments
- Demonstrate an understanding of the main provisions of the Manual Handling Operations
This course is designed to be relevant to all levels of staff. While this course can be delivered as a
stand-alone qualification and there are no specific pre-requisites, it is recommended that participants
should already hold the Foundation Certificate.
A half-day course with a short test, the successful completion of which qualifies participants for the
CIEH Level 1 Certificate, Principles of Manual Handling. The test is multiple-choice and the pass mark
is 15 / 20.
This course follows the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health’s syllabus for its Level 1
Certificate. It can easily be extended to a full day in order to cover in more detail the specific
requirements of different organisations.
Frances is a highly qualified (MA, BSc, FRSH, MRIPH, Chartered MCIPD, ACIEH) independent
consultant and trainer in the health and safety/food safety field. Formerly a training manager in a large
London hospital, Frances is also a registered CIEH trainer, a qualified food inspector and currently
a senior lecturer at a London college. She has extensive practical management experience and is a
very popular trainer generally but particularly in the hospitality and care sectors as well as with local
and central government departments.
‘Having used Frances’s services for three years I am very happy to recommend her. She is
reliable and self-sufficient as a supplier of training; and the feedback from delegates has always
been that her sessions are valuable, informative and enjoyable.’ Training Manager, Red Carnation Hotel Group
‘Frances offers a very wide range of workshops in the health and safety field. Her in-depth
knowledge and easy manner made her an ideal choice to deliver this training programme to our
employees.’ OD Consultant, London Borough of Havering
Manual handling (CIEH level 1 certificate) – course outline
1 Manual handling – why worry?
- Manual handling injuries and the activities which cause them
- Breakdown of injury statistics and costs for manual handling
- Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
- Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1992 / 1999
- Manual Handling Regulations 1992
2 ‘What seems to be the problem?’
- The muscular / skeletal system explained
- Ergonomics, fitness and the spine
- Group exercise
- Practical exercises for the back
3 Risk assessment
- General principles
- The LITE method
- Employees’ duties
- Workplace scenarios
- Group exercise
4 The process of manual handling in the workplace
- The correct stance: demonstration and practical exercise
- Interactive techniques: video
- Support Information
- Lifting techniques and equipment
- Introduction to MAC
- Recap quiz
- Open forum
- Multiple-choice test