Understanding yourself and others – overview
This highly participative one-day workshop has been designed to help you understand yourself better and, through increased self-awareness and awareness of others, enhance your personal effectiveness. The workshop will help you fully appreciate your own strengths and learn how to get the best out of others.
The workshop uses the MBTI psychometric questionnaire to provide an insight into how your personality and your preferences affect your behaviour. There is no ‘right’ personality and no ‘right’ preferences. All ‘types’ indicated by the questionnaire are equal and all bring strengths to the workplace and to our lives in general. During the day you will get a better insight into your own behaviour, including how you prefer to communicate, make decisions, engage with others and live your life. This will help you to identify practical strategies to make you more effective at work, allowing you to build on your strengths, achieve more and reduce stress levels all round. It will also help foster an understanding of how similar or different your preferences are to those you work with and how you can use this understanding to promote better working relationships.
Full details below or download course outline.
This workshop will help you to:
- Understand your own personality type, the potential strength of this type and how it may impact others.
- Understand how your preferences can affect your behaviour including: how you process information; how you communicate; how you make decisions; and how you naturally work and organise your life.
- Recognise what motivates you and identify potential sources of stress.
- Recognise and appreciate differences with others, thereby reducing conflict and enhancing team interaction.
- Identify practical strategies and actions to promote your own personal effectiveness and that of your team.
Beneficial for all levels of staff. This course can also be run as a workshop for teams.
This one-day workshop is highly participative. Group discussions and feedback are used to develop learning points and enable participants to relate examples to their own situations.
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® instrument is one of the most popular and well-established of all personality inventories. It measures personality preferences on four scales: Extraversion / Introversion (E – I), Sensing / Intuition (S – N), Thinking / Feeling (T – F) and Judgement / Perception (J – P).
You will complete the questionnaire on the day, which will indicate your personality preferences, or type, as one of 16 four-letter acronyms, such as ESTJ or INFP. This will then underpin the rest of the session, enabling you to understand your own behaviour better, appreciate how it affects others, and identify ways of improving your effectiveness at work.
Rosanne, who has over twenty years’ experience working in Human Resources as an HR Manager, a trainer and a coach, is passionate about helping organisations and individuals reach their full potential. She has substantial experience of training and development at all stages, including training needs analysis, designing and delivering training interventions and training evaluation against business outcomes and performance. A Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, a Business Practitioner in NLP and with a background in Transactional Analysis, Rosanne is also a qualified coach through the Coaches Training Institute and has recently graduated from the Solutions Focus Professional Training programme.
Rosanne has worked as the lead HR associate trainer with The In-House Training Company ever since its formation in 2006 and in that time has delivered an outstanding service to a range of clients, including Stevenage Leisure, Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council, Central Bedfordshire Council, Johnson Matthey, Cambridgeshire NHS Trust, Hertfordshire Chamber of Commerce, Central Borders Housing, Hertfordshire County Council, RIAS Insurance, Arvato Loyalty, Personal Group, Grant Thornton, etc.
A presenter of both ‘open’ and in-house training courses, Rosanne’s approach generates excellent feedback, as the following comments show:
‘A lot of information was absorbed. I’ve not had SO MUCH FUN on any previous course.’
‘Excellent facilitator. Can draw the audience and get the best out of them.’
‘I think that this is the most useful and enjoyable course I have attended so far, not only in content but also in presentation.’
‘Thoroughly enjoyable and highly relevant throughout. Very professionally prepared and presented. Thank you.’
‘Really fun, very informative, lots of great ideas.’
‘Excellent course in terms of content, right balance of theory and practical sessions. Rosanne made us feel extremely relaxed and gave feedback to help us learn from the practical sessions.’
Understanding yourself and others – workshop outline
- Workshop objectives
- Benefits from attending this workshop
- Personal objectives
- Benefits and applications
- The questionnaire
- Completing the questionnaire and scoring
- Understanding natural preferences
- Understanding the four scales
- Your personality type
Exploring personality type
- Practical exercises based on type
- Exploring similarities with others and differences
- Effects of preferences in work situations
- Impact for teams
- Common type biases and constructive use of differences
- Group exercise on influencing others
Understanding the different parts of your personality
- Your preferred and least preferred functions
- Implications and applications
- Your response to stress
Improving your effectiveness at work
- Identifying and working to your strengths
- Enhancing your impact
- Understanding and working effectively with others, eg, your manager, your team/colleagues, your customers, etc
- Practical coaching activity to identify specific strategies for success
- Individual action planning
- How will you transfer this learning into the workplace?
- What else do you need to help you do this effectively?