Career and succession planning for branch managers – overview
Many branch managers aspire to take on an area manager role and there are numerous disappointed managers who have become frustrated and despondent when they see external candidates being appointed for area manager positions. Many branch managers have ‘gone off the boil’ because of this and there are also many other branch managers who focus too much on where they want to go to in the future and not enough on what they are required to do today. This is made worse when career-minded managers are given little explanation or guidance as to what they need to do ‘for themselves’ in order to be considered seriously for an area manager role.
This workshop is unique. It give a ‘no holds barred’ introduction to the role of today’s area manager, so that branch / store managers can find out what they would be letting themselves in for in seeking a promotion to area manager. It will give them the opportunity, in a supportive and non-threatening environment, to consider whether they are ready for the challenge. It will also help them identify what they have to do for themselves in order to progress in their personal development and to be seen as a serious contender for area management.
Full details below or download course outline.
During this workshop, participants will:
- Fully discuss the key differences between the branch manager and area manager roles
- Be given a thorough introduction to the role and function of the area manager position and the key skills necessary to be effective in the area manager role
- Conduct an honest self-appraisal of their own abilities and strengths
- Formulate an ‘in the role’ personal development plan focusing on the skills they will need to demonstrate to be considered seriously
- Get real tips and advice directly related to ‘doing the right things’ to be noticed
- Be given a structured process for planning to get their branch exceeding expectations and for them to be noticed by senior management
- Benefit from the support, advice and coaching of an expert who has been there himself
This development workshop is intended for soon-to-be appointed area managers and branch managers who believe they have the potential for area management.
A thoroughly practical, highly participative, one-day workshop.
This workshop can be tailored to your organisation’s policies, processes and procedures. It can also be integrated with an assessment centre process.
Tony has been running his very successful consultancy and training organization for more than fifteen years, specialising in retail performance management and management development. Before that he spent fifteen years in various retail operations in senior management roles, including board level. He has a particular expertise in area and branch manager performance. His work focuses on:
- Succession planning – assessment workshops and support
- Induction workshops for newly-appointed area managers
- New area manager development programmes
- Area manager performance management workshops
- Refresher workshops for more experienced area managers
- One-to-one coaching and support on specific objectives / challenges
- Conference and meeting presentations
- Supporting Operations Managers / Directors in the management of area manager performance
His client list includes, amongst many others:
Austin Reed • Blackwell’s Bookshops • British Telecom Retail • Burton Group • Cancer Research • Edinburgh Woollen Mills • Vision Express • Alexon • Alliance Unichem International • Barnardo’s • Barratts • DFS Furniture • Gamestation • Holland and Barratt • Matches Fashion • Moss Pharmacy • National/Alamo Car Rentals • One-stop Convenience Stores • Paperchase • Pavers Shoes • PriceLess Shoes • Rayner Opticians • Regis International • Royal Doulton • Southern Co-operatives • Speciality Retail Group • The Entertainer • Waterfields Bakers • Country Casuals • Kookai Fashion • Clarks Shoes • Aptus Personnel • Lyndale Foods • Dunelm Mills • Furniture Village • Moss Bros • Hugo Boss • Clinton Cards •
Tony’s workshops get consistently excellent feedback from his clients / participants, eg:
‘Exceeded our expectations.’
Sales Director, Country Casuals
‘The best start they could possibly have.’
Operations Director, Blackwell’s Bookshops
‘At last, a trainer that has earned the right to train in this crucial area.’
Sales Director, Beatties Toys
Career and succession planning for branch managers – workshop outline
1 Area manager fundamentals
- Differences between being a store / branch manager and being an area manager
- Key task of the job
- Key skills requirements
2 Key result areas
- Results expected to be achieved – branch manager
- Result expectations – area manager
3 Leadership fundamentals
- Vital importance to the area manager role
4 Taking stock
- Review of personal performance
- Career stages – where are you now?
5 Personal development planning
- Definitions of training and development
- The planning process
- Planning personal development
6 Branch performance
- What is the ideal branch?
- Where are you now?
- What is required?
7 Branch business planning
- If you cannot plan and implement plans at branch level, forget the area manager role
- Formulating a credible branch plan
- Communicating the plan to the team
- Implementing the plan
8 Personal development planning
- Workshop review
- Action planning