Introduction to contract negotiation
This intensive one-day IACCM-approved programme helps participants develop the skills, knowledge and competencies required to plan for and carry out effective negotiations in a range of different environments.
Full details below or download course outline.
- Understand the basic concepts of negotiation and how it adds value to the organisation
- Recognise the stages of negotiation and the skills required at each stage
- Make use of tried-and-tested negotiation planning tools
- Apply a range of negotiation tools and techniques to support the organisation in obtaining value for money, quality and fit-for-purpose outcomes
- Set negotiation objectives
- Appreciate the importance of interpersonal skills in maximising the opportunities for reaching win/win agreements
Those seeking a refresher in this subject, to consolidate existing experience and knowledge, would also benefit.
The expert trainer adopts a proactive, participative, and participant-centred approach with emphasis on the practical application of the tools, techniques and templates discussed. The learning needs to be embedded into the fabric of the organisation and the trainer uses context-based case studies and other tasks to achieve this.
Certificates of attendance are provided on request (for CPD purposes: the programme qualifies for six hours, which for most professional bodies translates as six points).
The majority of the training we deliver is either tailored or completely bespoke. This workshop can therefore be delivered entirely as advertised, or it can be tailored to your particular requirements, or we can simply take it as a starting point for a conversation with you before we draft a completely bespoke programme for you – the choice is yours.
Introduction to contract negotiation – course outline
- Aims and objectives
- Plan for the day
2 Why negotiate?
- Understanding the negotiation context
- Negotiating with suppliers
- Negotiating with stakeholders
3 Understanding the process
- The phases of negotiation and what to do in each phase
- Appreciating the importance of planning
- Different approaches
- Identifying the key variables
- Setting objectives for each of them
- Practical negotiation planning exercise
- The key skills required,
- Applying these skills in a role play: practical exercise
- Review of key learning points
- Personal action planning