Introduction to negotiation
Full details below or download course outline.
This intensive one-day IACCM-approved programme helps participants develop the skills, knowledge and competencies required to plan for and carry out effective negotiations in a range of different environments.
By the end of the programme participants will be able to:
- Understand the basic concepts of negotiation and how it adds value to the organisation
- Recognise the stages of negotiations and the skills required at each stage
- Make use of tried-and-tested negotiation planning tools
- Apply a range of negotiation tools and techniques to support the organisation in obtaining value for money, quality and fit-for-purpose outcomes
- Set negotiation objectives
- Appreciate the importance of interpersonal skills in maximising the opportunities for reaching win/win agreements
Managers and team members who are new to the process of negotiation or who would benefit from a more structured approach to negotiating with suppliers and internal stakeholders. The programme will benefit staff who participate in or support negotiations.
The expert trainer for this practical one-day programme adopts a proactive, participative, and participant-centred approach with emphasis on the practical application of the tools, techniques and templates discussed. The learning needs to be embedded into the fabric of the organisation and the trainer uses context-based case studies and other tasks to achieve this.
The content of this course has been cross-mapped with CIPS/ISM/IACCM competency frameworks and other relevant international standards.
The majority of the training we deliver is either tailored or completely bespoke. This workshop can therefore be delivered entirely as advertised, or it can be tailored to your particular requirements, or we can simply take it as a starting point for a conversation with you before we draft a completely bespoke programme for you – the choice is yours.
Kenny is an experienced learning and development professional with a specialism in procurement training for large blue chip organisations. He is particularly experienced in delivering training on negotiation skills, procurement and supply chain management, contract law, project management and compliance for a range of clients across the UK and internationally.
Introduction to negotiation – course outline
- Introductions, aims and objectives and plan for the day
2 Why negotiate?
- Understanding the negotiation context
- Negotiating with suppliers
- Negotiating with stakeholders
3 Understanding the process
- The phases of negotiation and what to do in each phase
- Appreciating the importance of planning
- Different approaches
- Identifying the key variables and setting objectives for each of them
- Practical negotiation planning exercise
- The key skills required, including communication, numeracy, and empathy
- Applying these skills in a role play: practical exercise
- Review of key learning points
- Personal action planning