The effective family business board – overview
This workshop is designed for current and aspiring directors in private companies / family businesses, whether they serve in an executive or non-executive capacity. It will help them make an effective contribution to the work of the board by considering:
- How private company and family business boards are structured, what they do and how they work
- Roles and relationships in the family business boardroom
- Board processes and effectiveness
The workshop is led by an expert in, and published author on, the governance of family and closely-held businesses.
Full details below or download course outline.
At the end of this workshop each participant will have a much greater understanding of:
- The governance of family businesses (and how they differ from public companies)
- The roles and relationships at board level and their part in them
- The work of the board and what and how to contribute to it
This workshop has been designed primarily for recently-appointed directors (and those aspiring to a board position), although there are clear benefits to having the entire board take part.
A practical and pragmatic one-day workshop, featuring examples and case study work to ensure an appropriate balance between the practical and the theoretical.
This workshop can be adapted to reflect the nature and concerns of your particular organisation.
We are blessed with a team of outstanding trainers in this area, who all combine excellent training skills with extensive practical experience of being directors themselves and offering corporate governance consultancy support of one sort or another. They are all very used to delivering training internationally as well as in the UK.
The choice of trainer is entirely yours. You simply need to bear in mind their travel and (if absolutely necessary) accommodation costs, so pick the closest trainer to you or scroll through the list to find a trainer with the specific sector background you’re looking for. If you want some advice on who to choose, just give us a call on 01582 714282.
Please click here to see our list of trainers available to facilitate this course.
The effective family business board – course outline
1 Directing the family business
- Governance and accountabilities in the family business
- Key issues for family businesses:
- – Control
- – Succession
- – Retirement
- – Working with non-family directors
- – Family trusts
2 The family business board
- Family business board composition and structure
- Family business board roles and relationships:
- – Chairman
- – Managing director
- – Finance director
- – Executive and non-executive directors
- – Advisors
- Making changes
- – Recruitment search and selection
- – Appointments and removals
- – Motivation
- Introducing the case study
3 The work of the board
- Strategic thinking and setting policy
- Accountability and management oversight
- Decision making and dilemmas at the board
- Case study (continued)
4 Creating an effective board
- Process, procedure and rhythm at the board
- Managing politics and building the team
- Board appraisal and review
- Case study review
- Course review