Managing Safely – IOSH Award – overview
This is a very popular, comprehensive, practical and experiential programme, covering:
- Assessing risks: Defines and demystifies risk and risk assessment. Risk assessments and a simple scoring system are introduced, and participants carry out assessments.
- Controlling risks: Cutting risks down, concentrating on the best techniques to control key risks and how to choose the right methods.
- Understanding your responsibilities: The legal framework; health & safety management systems.
- Identifying hazards: The main issues any organisation has to deal with: entrances and exits, work traffic, fire, chemicals, electricity, physical and verbal abuse, bullying, stress, noise,
- housekeeping and the working environment, slips, trips and falls, working at height, computers and manual handling.
- Investigating accidents and incidents: Why accidents should be investigated, why things go wrong and how to carry out an investigation when they do.
- Measuring performance: How checking performance can help to improve health & safety. How to develop basic performance indicators. Auditing and proactive and reactive measuring.
- Protecting the environment: Introduction to waste and pollution. How organisations and individual managers can get involved in cutting down their environmental impacts.
The programme enables participants to:
- Assess and control risks and hazards
- Understand their own responsibilities for safety and health
- Investigate incidents
- Measure their own performance
- Reflect on good practice and plan how to ensure the safety of the staff for whom they are responsible
Full details below or download course outline.
Managers, team leaders and supervisors.
A four-day programme, for up to 12 people, with a multiple-choice test and a risk assessment project on the last day, the successful completion of which qualifies participants for the IOSH Award, Managing Safely.
David has more than twenty years’ experience in environmental, health and safety management and training. Formerly Head of Environmental Protection Training for the Ministry of Defence and later Environment Health and Safety Manager with one of the UK’s largest cement manufacturing companies and H&S Adviser with Visa, he set up his own consultancy practice in 2006, providing support, advice and training on health & safety and environmental management to help organisations to reduce their environmental impact and improve their health and safety performance.
David graduated with a BSc (Hons) in Environment Management from Cranfield University. He is a Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv) with the Society for the Environment, a Chartered Waste Manager with the Chartered Institution for Waste Management (CIWM), a member of IOSH at GradIOSH level, a member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) and is registered with the IEMA as an Associate Environmental Auditor. He has accredited centre status for the delivery of BSC and IOSH qualification programmes.
David is a very popular trainer, as the following comments from recent programme participants demonstrate:
‘David was excellent!’
‘Very knowledgeable and engaging.’
‘Nice guy, very knowledgeable and good references to true scenarios.’
‘David is very good at answering any questions that you are unsure of and focuses the answer down so that you can understand the information given.’
‘Lively, open for discussions, good examples.’
‘Very professional and knowledgeable.’
‘Engaging and approachable.’
‘Good pace, clear instruction and explanation throughout.’
‘Good course, well delivered.’