COSHH (CIEH Level 2 Award) – overview
‘Principles of COSHH’ is a stand-alone CIEH Level 2 Award. It complements the ‘Health and safety in the workplace’ CIEH Level 2 Award. It is aimed at those who use – or are responsible for the control of – substances hazardous to health at work and introduces them to the hazards associated with those substances, the risks and controls available and what to expect from a COSHH assessment.
Successful completion of this programme will prepare participants to look carefully at their own work
activities and contribute to the safer use of hazardous substances in co-operation with their managers
Full details below or download course outline.
On completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain what is meant by the term ‘substance hazardous to health’ and give examples
- Explain how hazardous substances can cause ill-health and injury and give examples
- State the different ways in which hazardous substances may be identified
- State the principles for controlling substances hazardous to health and apply these in a practical
- Demonstrate a general understanding of the value and purposes of conducting a COSHH
assessment and what employees can expect of such assessments
- Demonstrate an understanding of the main provisions of the Control of Substances Hazardous to
This course is designed to be relevant to all levels of staff. While this course can be delivered as a stand-alone qualification and there are no specific pre-requisites, it is recommended that participants should already hold the ‘Health and safety in the workplace’ CIEH Level 2 Award.
A half-day course with a short multiple-choice test, the successful completion of which qualifies participants for the CIEH Level 2 Award, Principles of COSHH.
This course follows the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health’s syllabus for its Level 2
Award. It can easily be extended to a full day in order to cover in more detail the specific
requirements of different organisations.
Frances is a highly qualified (MA, BSc, FRSH, MRIPH, Chartered MCIPD, ACIEH) independent
consultant and trainer in the health and safety/food safety field. Formerly a training manager in a large
London hospital, Frances is also a registered CIEH trainer, a qualified food inspector and currently
a senior lecturer at a London college. She has extensive practical management experience and is a
very popular trainer generally but particularly in the hospitality and care sectors as well as with local
and central government departments.
‘Having used Frances’s services for three years I am very happy to recommend her. She is
reliable and self-sufficient as a supplier of training; and the feedback from delegates has always
been that her sessions are valuable, informative and enjoyable.’ Training Manager, Red Carnation Hotel Group
‘Frances offers a very wide range of workshops in the health and safety field. Her in-depth
knowledge and easy manner made her an ideal choice to deliver this training programme to our
employees.’ OD Consultant, London Borough of Havering
COSHH (CIEH certificate) – course outline
1 Definition and types of substances hazardous to health in the workplace
- What is a hazardous substance?
2 Health effects of hazardous substances and their causes
- Knowing what the label says – hazard warning signs
- Occupational health problems
- Health surveillance
3 COSHH assessments and control options
- Controlling hazardous substances
- The ‘Hierarchy of Control’
- Occupational Exposure Limits
4 Responsibilities imposed by the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations
- Understanding the COSHH Regulations
- Importance of company policies and procedures
5 Practical issues
- Suppliers material safety data sheets (MSDS)
- Inventory lists
- Assessment records
- Practical assessment
- Personal protective equipment
- Recap quiz
- Open forum
- Multiple-choice test