Leadership in operations management – overview
This programme provides an intensive, two-day overview of the key elements of operations management, including an array of practical tips and tools to help managers be more proactive and effective in the operations management environment – whether that’s in an industrial manufacturing context or in operational leadership in the service sectors.
The aims of the programme are to:
- Show where operations management fits into the organisation and the role of operations as a key element of the business
- Present the key elements and concepts of operations management
- Provide a structured approach for managing these different elements and concepts
- Demonstrate tools and techniques for effective and proactive operational leadership
- Give participants the confidence to take on a leadership role and make positive change
Full details below or download course outline.
At the end of the programme, participants will:
- Understand the 6Cs approach to operations management
- Be able to apply a range of practical tools and techniques to improve their personal effectiveness towards being a more effective operations manager
- Be able to prepare an action plan for the critical first (or next) 100 days in their operational leadership role
The programme is designed for managers who are about to become, or have very recently become head of department or section, plant manager, site manager or any role where they are no longer the second in command but are now needing to step up to be the leader, set exemplary standards and effect positive change. It is also suitable for managers from other disciplines who are stepping into a leadership role in manufacturing or operations for the first time or after a break from operations.
This practical two-day programme is highly participative, with numerous exercises and examples. Participants will be encouraged to raise current issues and concerns from their workplace to enable discussion of how concepts and elements can be implemented in practice.
For maximum benefit, this programme can be tailored to reference or incorporate internal procedures and practices.
Richard specialises in coaching and training in project and operations management and in providing consultancy support to active projects and manufacturing operations. A chemical engineer by background, he has spent much of the past twenty years working in the UK, South Africa, The Netherlands, China and Singapore, gaining vast experience of the issues relating to project management and Lean manufacturing in these different regions with their different cultures.
Richard has extensive experience in the chemical industry in particular, working for multi-national companies in the UK, Europe and Asia. He has specific expertise in managing large complex capital projects in China and SE Asia and the cultural and practical challenges involved. Prior to becoming a consultant, Richard was the Asia Manufacturing Director for Allnex Ltd, a global coating resins and additives company, where he was based in Singapore for several years. Before that he worked for 23 years for DSM, a Dutch-based life science and materials science business where he held several senior manufacturing, project director and manufacturing excellence program management roles as well as spending some time in product management and general management business roles.
Leadership in operations management – course outline
- What is Operations Management and where does it fit in?
- What makes a successful Operations Manager?
- Introducing the 6Cs of Operations Management
- Link to business strategy
- Making a year plan
- Performance measurement
- Reputational controls
- Costs and budgets
- Stakeholder management
- Walking the talk
- Safety, Health, Environment & Security
7 Continuous improvement
- Link to KPIs and Year Plan
8 Putting it all together
- Action planning for the first (or next) 100 days