Influencing skills at work – overview
The ability to influence others is a life skill but also one that has never been so critically useful at work. This one day workshop will set you on the road to discover what you need to be able to think and do that will help you take people with you. This involves learning some new tools and strategies that fit the situation you are in and making sure you use the right skills and behaviours to influence well, whether it is a single person or a room full of cynical expectant people!
Full details below or download course outline.
This workshop will enable you to:
- Learn about and understand influencing styles and strategies available and formulate plans and ideas on how to use them in influencing situations
- Understand which skills and behaviours to use to be the most effective influencer
- Have greater confidence in situations where they need to influence someone
- Use thinking, speaking and behavioural techniques that enable influencing to be effective and positive
- Review and evaluate learning and have an action plan to take back and implement in the workplace
Staff who want to increase personal effectiveness in engaging and influencing others at work.
This is a participative workshop style training day where participants are invited to share professional practice with peers and work on personal action plans and ideas for being more effective as an influencer in the situations that matter at work. The day will involve games, exercises, group discussion, tasks and completion of action plans. There will be an opportunity to learn the skills and behaviours an effective influencer needs.
Amanda is a highly experienced coach and facilitator specialising in providing leadership coaching, management development programmes and facilitation services to the public, private and voluntary, community and social enterprise (VCSE) sectors. Her work in the public service sector, in particular, has so far extended to facilitation sessions, focus groups, team development, personal effectiveness skills training, customer service training, performance management training, and specialist leadership and management programmes.
Influencing skills at work – course outline
1 Welcome, introductions & getting to know you and why you are here
- Course objectives
2 Personal objectives
- Introducing a learning diary
3 Gallery exercise – using images of exemplars brought by participants
- Plenary discussion
- The skills and behaviours of an exemplar influencer
4 Group task – what does your self-evaluation say?
- Discussion and conclusions
5 Influencing – what is it? – why do we need it?
- The current organisational landscape including values and behaviours the influencer operates in
6 Pit Stop – ‘pull / push’, ‘the lost horse’ and ‘talking at’
7 Direct / support / delegate / coach: the different choices and approaches to choose from
8 Updating the learning diary
9 Power and types of power – its impact on influencing ability and approach and what is within your control
- Group task and discussion
10 The 5 influencing styles tool
- Series of tasks and exercises
- Drilling down to a personal action plan for maximising influence
11 ‘The person with the most flexibility has the most influence’
- Skills and behaviours for effective influencing
- Exercises and techniques that develop skills for influencing
12 Review and evaluation
- Action planning